Tuesday 21 September 2010

Have you gone back to work yet?

No, no, no and mostly when people ask me this I feel like a total slacker / dullard / betrayer of decades of feminist struggle. Am I to blame if the Pankhursts are turning in their graves? Quite a few of my friends who've worked hard for good careers take the line that women should go back to work or we might as well live under the Taliban. The problem is who then looks after the children? Well, in general it's other women, just poorer ones, usually from Eastern Europe or the Philippines, so I'm not sure this is a great feminist triumph. Ultimately, most mums I know (and quite a few dads) would like to work part-time but this hasn't been an option for me as my old career is not what you'd call child-friendly. Now I'm in that tedious situation of trying to work out what I can do that would fit around spending lots of time with my gorgeous boys and would still be mentally stimulating, use my skills, pay filthy amounts of cash etc. etc. Any ideas?!

No comments:

Post a Comment