Thursday 23 September 2010

No, I don't want your pit bull to say hello to my babies.

In the part of London where I live, dogs are part pet, part weapon. Pit bulls are the prevalent breed and their owners range from middle age dad's in vests and slightly scary grannies to, well, the kind of person you'd probably avoid getting into a spat over the odd unscooped poop with. Now, I'm a dog lover but I do not want these muts anywhere near my darling boys. Yesterday when one lunged for S in his pram I made a rather dramatic swerve to get S out of drooling distance. And, for the umpteenth time the owners response was to look at me as if I was a laughably neurotic Mum and mutter, 'he just wants to say hello'. Yes, well I'm sure that's what the owners of those Staffies that savaged a three year old down the road from us thought and I'm not going to take the chance. Pit bulls aren't breed to 'just say hello'. If you want one of those, I'd recommend a labrador.

2 comments:

  1. I feel strongly about this too. I know breeds get a bad name. I love animals. But there are so many owners that don't get that some people just don't like dogs invading their personal space, espicially if they have kids.
    Found you via BMB, tv producer sounds fun, do you miss it?
    Penny
    x
    http://thealexanderresidence.blogspot.com/
    http://thealexanderresidence.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the funny thing, people always assume I don't like dogs when I back the boys away from them when the exact opposite is true - I've even worked in a vets! I just don't trust those dogs around my boys.

    As for TV producing, in many ways it was lots of fun so sometimes I do miss it. I've worked with some great people and I really liked the fact that you get to research lots of different areas of life and talk to lots of different people. However, it was a hugely full on job even without children so I can't quite imagine doing it with 18 month old twins! What do you do? I'll check out your blog. A x

    ReplyDelete